Monkey Island 1 Remake

Discuss everything from the story to the rubber chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle :)

Moderator: Moderator Monkeys

Monkey Island 1 Remake

Postby CanadianWinter » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:34 pm

I love Monkey Island games as much as the next guy, and I was thinking that it would be cool to see a Monkey Island 1 graphics update. I was wondering, would anyone else like to see a Monkey Island 1 remake in the Source engine? If enough people want it, I could try to get started.
CanadianWinter

Postby bobfresco » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:24 am

it'd be a nice idea to see monkey island 1 graphics done in the style of CMI...but monkey island 1 is perfect.

I don't know whether it's nostalgia or not...but the "charm" of old games with low resolution graphics is that a) they are as good as they get for the resolution...ie. they are "perfect"....and b) when graphics are in lower resolutions, you have to use your imagination more..which means u get more involved in the game I feel....there's a reason why reading books is still a favourite pastime of many people!
bobfresco

Postby CanadianWinter » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:20 am

What you said is true, but better graphics can also enhance an already great game. If I were to make this, it wouldn't be in the style of EMI, as I personally didn't like the keyboard control. It would be basically the exact point and click adventure we know and love, but with high resolution models and backgrounds. And by high resolution, I mean 3 dimensional. Think Syberia.
CanadianWinter

Postby KGB » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:48 am

No. SMI has a cartoonish spirit, that is simple and linear, in a matter of way... 3D will make it seem more complex, and SMI should be as simple as it is.
Besides, wandering around Melee of SMI was way better than EMI.
...Finaly, one lady friend asked the right question: "What is the thing you love the most?". That's how I started painting money. - Andy Warhol.

Be seeing you!
-KGB-
KGB
Wiki editor

Postby bobfresco » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:58 pm

the graphics in EMI were terrible!!! really really bad...the only way 3D graphics look good are in ultra-realistic films like lord of the rings...but u'd need a really powerful computer to run a game with graphics like that! Give 3D graphics another 10 years to develop, then maybe you can use them.

The graphics in the first 2 games are brilliant...you actually can't really get much better than them considering the resolution was 320x200.
The graphics of the 3rd game were good too..the backgrounds were always beautiful..and the characters looked good (although the character scaling wasn't too good).

EMI is a freaking horrible game.
bobfresco

Postby Haggis » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:31 pm

bobfresco wrote:The graphics in the first 2 games are brilliant...you actually can't really get much better than them considering the resolution was 320x200.

Whoa whoa whoa, you're saying those pixelated horrifications looked good? Of course I absolutely agree that SMI and MI2 looked great for the standards back then, and the background art in MI2 was especially awesome, but you're having a bit of a double-standard thing going on there. Escape from Monkey Island (apart from the fact I thought it was good), looked very good for when it was released. It was a step up from Grim Fandango, which already looked great when it was released in 1998, and EMI only came 2 years later. You must remember that 2000 was when Nintendo 64 was on its last legs, and most PC games didn't look much better than those console's games (have a look at this list, and look at the screenshots for some of the games). Bottom line: I'd say EMI's graphics are fine, and in fact those were among the better aspects of the game (most notably backgrounds and character expressions).
Haggis
Administrator

Postby Master Ghost » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:25 am

I would have to agree. MI1, MI2, and MI4 had good graphics for their time. The thing that I think was not so good was MI3's graphics. I mean it came out in 1997 or 1998 though I think it was '97. And with what 2D graphics that to me weren't that good. Grim Fandango came out a year latter and was much better. My opinion though.
Pirate Forever!!!!!
Master Ghost

Postby KGB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:45 am

Master Ghost wrote:I mean it came out in 1997 or 1998 though I think it was '97. And with what 2D graphics that to me weren't that good. Grim Fandango came out a year latter and was much better. My opinion though.

Well, that time was the 3D games revolution... They became much more popular and 'took over' the popularity of 2D games (Especially with the appereance of the N64, that didn't sell that well but kicked some serioues SNES). I don't think there is a better representation of 2D graphics than MI3; I am actually glad they didn't went to 3D. By the time EMI came out, it was just impossible to sell a game in the measures of LA without it being 3D.
But that could be really interesting: How would a 3D CMI look? Is there anything cooler than Plunder Island in 3D?
...Finaly, one lady friend asked the right question: "What is the thing you love the most?". That's how I started painting money. - Andy Warhol.

Be seeing you!
-KGB-
KGB
Wiki editor

Postby Augustus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:33 pm

KGB wrote:
Master Ghost wrote:But that could be really interesting: How would a 3D CMI look? Is there anything cooler than Plunder Island in 3D?

Well, there was that short Easter Egg found in the last section of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine which allowed Indy (actually he transforms to Guybrush) to walk around in \ the barbershop in 3D, along with a monkey...I just wish Indy could exit the door and go see the rest of the Island.
Augustus

Postby CanadianWinter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:36 pm

This guy actually made Blood Island in 3D. Check out this site, just click on the thumbnails to the right of that site, and you will see what Blood Island looks like in 3 dimensions.

http://goblin.scummbar.com/index.php?side=3d
CanadianWinter

Postby Fearless Flying Monkey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Without doubt new graphics would ruin the original. Not many games get remade in new engines as generally the genre moves on, those that do lose the charm of the original. The only way I think it could be done would be to use CMIs engine, which personally I think is far more beautiful than every 3D engine used for an adventure game. :M
There is a light and it never goes out.
Fearless Flying Monkey

Postby ElaineMarley » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am

I think it would be nice to play MI1 with better graphics
Oop Eek Chee!
ElaineMarley

Remake is great

Postby paprik123456 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am

OK, guys... I know that original graphic is the best and started all this fans affair, BUT why somebody wants to make a remake?? Easy answer! people who like it and play it every year again and again wants to give it new better looking. MI 1 a 2 is great and need to be updated with new pics. We wants to see more details, be deeper in story, be like guybrush inside all that enviroments and that feel will give you bigger resolution, richer graphics, more animation etc... so guys, do just a demo, find talented people and make just for fans and try.... dont care about time, just do it. Like me: http://www.3dspacek.webz.cz
paprik123456

Postby Wolfstar27 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I was Chatting to one of my collegues at work, (i work in a Game store) and i was talking to him about how brilliant monkey island was, saying its my number 1 favourite, he mention that there was a Monkey 1 remake in 3D but it was really rare and only Avalible in America, he said it came as a boxset with All monkey Island Games (like the bounty pack) but with an Additional 3d remake, he said it was called Monkey Island teasure trove boxset or something like that, and as a huge fan of the game, i had my doubts, he said that he will give me the link of it, he said it was an unoffical remake of the game, but since it was really good, they released it with this boxset to celebrate the release of the boxset. he mentioned it was just like the "Broken Sword 2.5" i just want to know if anybody has even heard of it...or yet otain a copy (if it exsists)
Wolfstar27

Remake

Postby paprik123456 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 am

I dont believe that LucasArts will make any remake. They will not put any money into it. They will not spent milion dollars to make a remake. Its same as Speilberg wants to make Monkey Island movie. They will always make pirates movies, but not as Monkey Island.
paprik123456

Next

Return to The Secret of Monkey Island