THE UNIFIED THEORY OF MONKEY ISLAND

For general discussion about the Monkey Island games.

Moderator: Moderator Monkeys

THE UNIFIED THEORY OF MONKEY ISLAND

Postby piratebd » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:01 am

hey everyone!!!!! i have a new theory to the end of MI2!!!! i think its new cuz i havent seen this anywhere else!!!! this explains the modern anachronisms and the carnival thingy!!!!!its a loong one so please...bear with me!! well then here it is:

Guybrush Threepwood IS a boy in a carnival with his parents and he loves the pirates ride sooo much that he imagines himself as a wannabe pirate [wannabe because he is not a pirate and he is intelligent enough to realize that]. His brother Chuckie is sent to find him but Guybrush does not want to go back to reality. Thus, he makes up the story of the Ghost Pirate LeChuck. He probably has an infatuation about some girl in the park, probably an attendant at the pirates ride. An attendant because...have you all noticed the fact that Elaine ALWAYS wears pirate clothing? Governors are'nt supposed to wear such clothing, its all flowing gowns for them [Elizabeth in Pirates of the Carribean].

Anyways, as I was saying, then maybe he makes up a damsel in distress story since we all know that that kind of story is what kids see most in fairy tales and stuff. He probably interrupts Elaine in the middle of her work and she thus gets annoyed and then Guybrush succeeds in losing his brother Chuckie [LeChuck and the end of SMI] and then at night, he watches the fireworks in the carnival [Disneyland has fireworks at night as a finale] with Elaine and then she mentions her husband [she is probably married in real life].

Guybrush then probably goes home with his parents and Guybrush regards Chuckie as his brother instead of the Ghost Pirate LeChuck and then they all return to Big Whoop the carnival at a later date. Guybrush probably finds out about the E ticket as a treasure which has untold fun potential and so he wanders off again to find it. Some bully probably takes Guybrush's lunch money or something [Largo LaGrande] and Guybrush finds Elaine at a different section of the park, probably in a Mardi-Gras inspired area. He goes all around the place and ends up in an employee type area where he finds the treasure of Big Whoop, the legendary E-ticket. And then he finds LeChuck and they battle and then he ends up back to reality yadiyadiya!!!!

Most of you have probably heard this or something similar. But...here is the twist:

Guybrush's imagination is so powerful, he makes the Ghost/Zombie pirate LeChuck come to life as a living entity. But, LeChuck only existed inside of Guybrush, until...Chuckie finds Guybrush and they fight and Guuybrush defeats him thus somehow, through a spell, LeChuck enters Chuckie and posseses him. Thus the end of MI2 where we see the glowing eyes!! LeChuck is now in the real realm. [Sort of like what Agent Smith does to get to the Real World in Matrix:Reloaded!!]

Now, this theory makes sense when you take into account what Ron Gilbert [the great and wonderful RON!!!!!] said in the chat transcript found in http://www.scummbar.com and also another interview again found there.

He said in the chat transcript that Guybrush and LeChuck are in one case brothers, and in another case NOT. He also said that Elaine never looked at him like a lover but more like a brother, we can hardly expect an adult attendant to think of a kid like Guybrush in a romantic sense [ick!!!] !! Ron also said in the interview that MI has a lot of funny anachronisms that point to real life; e.g-the vending machine in Stan's Used Ship Emporium, the pump in Phatt Island, the Elvis plates, the large amount of stuff at the end of MI2. He also said that it is all funny but the anachronisms are all part of a larger plot.

Whew!!! Well that was long wasnt it?? I hope i'm right or atleast close to the REAL Secret of Monkey Island plot!!!! All I need now is for Ron Gilbert himself to say "Yes!!! You're right!!!! And for your great theory...I present to you this 'rubber chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle'!!!!" :lol: :wink: :D :P
You seek the road far from here
Yet closer you are with the road which is near
The paths are laid before your feet
Destiny, either way shall you have to meet.
May the wings of your becoming carry your fate
And may destiny protect your soul from hate.
piratebd

Location: The International House of Psychotic Banana Wielders

Postby guybrush threepwood » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:44 am

it is possible,

here is another interesting theory
http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2458
This one explains everything.
Go home and get your shinebox.
guybrush threepwood

Postby Ryback » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:52 am

Not bad. I think if Gilbert had made the third Monkey Island game you would have seen something quite similar end up in the story. It was interesting reading you translating the various plot points from the games into possible 'real world' events. It's easy with some things (Voodoo Lady = fortune teller, Stan = some persistent carnival seller), and harder with others. Just who was Elaine? On one hand I'm inclined to think lil' Guybrush just saw a decorative poster on a wall somewhere, titled 'Governor Marley', but your idea works just as well.
'"Hello, stranger on the road," a voice called in a language not known to me, Turkish presumably.' -- Fred & Geoffrey Hoyle, The Incandescent Ones
Ryback

Postby piratebd » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:41 pm

the only thing i havent been able to figure out is one aspect of the end of MI2, the one where Elaine is standing over the hole wondering whether LeChuck has cast aspell on Guybrush or not.

Hmmm, maybe Guybrush DID fall down some kind of prop-set and went down to the staff-tunnels of the carnivals [disneyland has tunnels running underneath the entire park for the staff to go from place to place quickly--or so i've been told] Monkey Island HAS to be a bit CARTOONY regardless of the setting.

also, has anyone else noticed that in SMI and MI2, Guybrush's hair was brown?NOT blonde...it was BROWN!!!!!!!
piratebd

Postby Ryback » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:12 am

piratebd wrote:the only thing i havent been able to figure out is one aspect of the end of MI2, the one where Elaine is standing over the hole wondering whether LeChuck has cast aspell on Guybrush or not.

That's simple. The Threepwoods are daytrippers - when they've finished seeing the sights Guybrush and Chuckie and their parents all leave the theme park. Elaine, being as you suggested a park attendant, is doomed to remain behind. So Guybrush, being infatuated with her, briefly imagines her standing behind at the top of the hole, wondering if Guybrush is coming back.

I imagine he forgets about her quickly after that.
'"Hello, stranger on the road," a voice called in a language not known to me, Turkish presumably.' -- Fred & Geoffrey Hoyle, The Incandescent Ones
Ryback

Postby piratebd » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:17 am

or does he???
[suspenseful music plays]

no seriously...it still doesnt explain the "I hope Lechuck hasnt cast some kind of spell on Guybrush!" line.

and i havent figured out the secret of MI tho...it can be anything!!!!!!!!! [e.g-GB is a kid, Chuckie is LeChuck...ANYTHING :cry: ]
piratebd

Postby Rhesus Positive » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:19 am

That could be what Guybrush is imagining her saying, but in reality she's just thinking: "I wonder where that weird kid went?"
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Rhesus Positive

Postby Ferder » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm sure that part with Elaine was added just in case Ron was going to do another Monkey Island game. For those that were dissapointed and fealt rippped-off that it was all just a carnival, he added the scene, so that there would be a loop-hole (Big Woops is just spell and Guybrush really is a pirate in the carribean). That way he could carry on the series still in the pirate world without making it contradictory. Unfortunatly he never did make MI3, but the makers of Curse sure found that loop-hole usefull for their story.
Ferder

Postby piratebd » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:30 pm

I think Ron Gilbert [the great and wonderful RON!!] had MI3 in mind when he made MI2. problem was that he left after/in the middle of production of MI2!!!

[grumbles] :evil:
piratebd

Postby Breakdown7 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:44 pm

I wonder what the MI series would've been like if Ron Gilbert created numbers 3 & 4?

By the way, Piratebd, good job on your theory. I think I've heard it before, but it wasn't to the extent of yours. It is apparent that you put a lot of thought into it.
Breakdown7

Postby guybrush threepwood » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:19 pm

I wonder what the MI series would've been like if Ron Gilbert created numbers 3 & 4?

Ron gilbert was only going to make 3. the third would have been final.
Go home and get your shinebox.
guybrush threepwood

Postby piratebd » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:00 am

thanks Breakdown7...it just occured to me one day and i then realized i didnt see that anywhere
and it beats studying doesnt it??
piratebd

Postby Ryback » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:56 am

piratebd wrote:no seriously...it still doesnt explain the "I hope Lechuck hasnt cast some kind of spell on Guybrush!" line.

Well if we get all psychological we can work up an explanation. See, Chuckie was the one who found lil' Guybrush, who was quite enjoying his pirate adventure, and so he's the one to blame for them all leaving the carnival at the end of the day. Moreover, from almost the first moment they came to the carnival, lil' Guybrush has been imagining his older, more threatening brother to literally be an undead demon in command of voodoo energy. Guybrush doesn't want to leave Elaine behind, and no way would he be going of his own accord, so naturally Chuckie must be casting an evil spell to draw these two fated lovers apart. For extra consolation he has imaginary Elaine think these thoughts, rather than himself.

See, no loose ends.
Ryback

Postby piratebd » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:52 am

awesome!!!!!no more loose ends!!!! YAY!!!!! RON!!!! U THERE????WE SOLVED THE STUPID THING~!!!!! JUST TELL US NOW OR MAKE US PART 3 NOW OKAY??????????????

okay...we should see "Ron Glilbert's Monkey Island 3: Sorry for the Holdup" soon!!! :D :D :D :D
piratebd

Postby Yufster » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:23 pm

i have a new theory to the end of MI2!!!! i think its new cuz i havent seen this anywhere else!!!!
Awesome! Cool! :D! I hope you are not lying to me on this!!! Man, I am trusting you on this one, okay?! Cool! KEWL!! :D

Guybrush Threepwood IS a boy in a carnival with his parents.
Wait a second. You said this was going to be original. This better get better!

Anyways, as I was saying, then maybe he makes up a damsel in distress story
Man, you lie bad. I hate you!

And then he finds LeChuck and they battle and then he ends up back to reality yadiyadiya!!!!
I might agree with that Yadiyiddayaya part, but since I have no idea what it means, I'm going to play it safe and assume I disagree, like everything else you wrote.

Most of you have probably heard this or something similar. But...here is the twist:
Yeah. Yeah, I have. And right at the start you said you thought it was new. It's not new. You were lying. Man, you have wasted 2 minutes of my life and I will never get that time back.

Guybrush's imagination is so powerful, he makes the Ghost/Zombie pirate LeChuck come to life as a living entity.[Sort of like what Agent Smith does to get to the Real World in Matrix:Reloaded!!]
I can see how Agent Smith from the Matrix, and Monkey Island 2 are similar. They share letters in the title.

Now, this theory makes sense when you take into account what Ron Gilbert [the great and wonderful RON!!!!!] said in the chat transcript found in http://www.scummbar.com and also another interview again found there.
You, sir, are a sycophant!

Ron also said in the interview that MI has a lot of funny anachronisms that point to real life
I guess you must have done a LITTLE bit of research for this write up because you used the word 'anachronism'. Okay, because you linked from an outside website, I'm going to assume you expected comments to be made from people FROM that outside website, good and bad, about your theory. The truth is, it's all been said before. Many, many, many times. I think it's time to move on. You know, Grim Fandango is an excellent game.

awesome!!!!!no more loose ends!!!! YAY!!!!! RON!!!! U THERE????WE SOLVED THE STUPID THING~!!!!! JUST TELL US NOW OR MAKE US PART 3 NOW OKAY??????????????
And now I hate you.
Yufster

Next

Return to General discussion