My first Adventure Game

Everything that has nothing to do with Monkey Island goes here.

Moderator: Moderator Monkeys

My first Adventure Game

Postby Hande » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:33 am

So what was your first adventure game? Do you still enjoy it? Has your opinion of it changed over the years?

Please share.

My first adventure game was Alien Incident which I was able to get running recently, thanks to some helpful people on this forum. :D You can read more about my thoughts on it here.
I can read minds, but it's pointless because I'm illiterate.
-Mitch Hedberg
Hande
Wiki editor

Re: My first Adventure Game

Postby Augustus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Well other than playing Conquests of the Long Bow for about five minutes when I was really little (and having absolutely no clue what I was doing), I guess it was actually Escape from Monkey Island, which was one of the first games I seriously played and owned. Of course I still enjoy the game, and moreso than most people (prob. due to nostalgia than anything else), but I won't deny that I don't hold it in the same regard today that I used to. It's not a bad game and i play it everytime I play through the series but usually just to continue the story more than anything else.

Technically, you could make an argument that my first adventure was Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, which is action/adventure, and actually it led to my eventual purchasing of Escape (and most of the LA catalogue really). I still enjoy parts of it, but it was frustrating at times even when I played, but dangit it let me be Indiana Jones which was really cool at the time. Some of the environments still look quite nice and I always greatly enjoyed driving the jeep around.

Glad to hear you got Alien Incident working!
Augustus

Postby Artemius the Great » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 am

Scooby Doo for Sega Genesis :) Very nice stuff! Looks like a cartoon. It has SVGA graphics and exact Scumm-interface ;) Technically reminds a bit of Le Chuck's Revenge
"You may say, i'm a dreamer. But i'm not the only one."

My life is a country song
Artemius the Great

Postby Hande » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:36 am

Artemius the Great wrote:Scooby Doo for Sega Genesis :)

Wow! That seems like a really original first adventure game. Then again, I suppose many others have started off with a licenced title. How does it hold up for you now?
I can read minds, but it's pointless because I'm illiterate.
-Mitch Hedberg
Hande
Wiki editor

Postby dee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 am

For me it was Myst. I was about nine at the time and found that the sound effects (the linking books and any time a mechanism started clanking) freaked me out too much to finish it by myself. (It may also have been too difficult; I was pretty terrible at anything other than platformers when I was that age.) So I watched my dad finish it instead :D
dee

Postby Augustus » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:28 pm

I remember being a little freaked by the sound effects in Myst as well, and I think I was 12 or 13 when I first played it. I think the worst part was just the fact that no one was ever around, but you almost kept expecting someone to appear freaked me out more than anything. Which might explain why Riven wasn't as creepy...most of the time.
Augustus

Return to What's on your mind?