Tales of MI
Sam & Max.net
SW: Battlefront
Star Wars Knights
Star Wars Galaxies
The SCUMM Bar
X-Wing Alliance.net
Comments

Saturday, June 16, 2007
PotC IS the Monkey Island movie Posted by: Dalixam | Comments (15)
We got some very interesting information yesterday from a very reliable source.

First off, as we had suspected, Jim Ward (president of LEC) is strongly against doing any old IPs. (Except Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Thrillville) and is against adventure games for financial reasons.

Secondly, As we assumed, the artwork from Steve Purcell was for the canceled Monkey Island movie that ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) was working on in 2000. The really interesting thing is that the movie was going to be produced by Steven Spielberg (who is a big Monkey Island fan himself). He asked Ted Elliott, a script writer who has worked on several Disney movies (including 'Treasure Planet') and on 'Steven Spielberg’s Director's Chair' game, to help with the story for the MI movie.

The Monkey Island movie never got the green light and years later Ted Elliott wrote 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl', which took several ideas from Monkey Island. So basically the first two PotC movies are the Monkey Island movie.

Our source wants to remain anonymous, but you can be sure this information is correct.

I guess the similarities between the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and Monkey Island were not coincidences...

Comment by: Captain Raptor @ 16:46, Wednesday, June 27, 2007
I had a feeling it wasn't a coincidence. They ripped off each other or just were somewhat influenced by each other. Both are about pirates in the Caribbean. Nice find.
Edited 1 time(s)

Comment by: raven_image @ 13:39, Wednesday, June 20, 2007
C'Mon, Haggis, Gilbert has, only recently, mentioned the influence of the book, On Stranger Tides. In most interviews between 1990-2000, he admitted to being most influenced by the Disneyland ride. According to Tim Schafer, in this interview, "I think Monkey Island, Ron will always tell you, came from the Disneyland ride Pirates of the Caribbean." What TS says there is consistent with what Gilbert has said prior to the release of the PotC movie.

Gilbert's revisionist autobiography will not fool anyone with a memory.

Comment by: Haggis @ 11:37, Wednesday, June 20, 2007
No, MI was not based on the PotC ride. You can read all about that here: http://grumpygamer.com/6476640

Comment by: yuzuharu @ 03:30, Wednesday, June 20, 2007
People from Telltale Games, PLEASE try and take MI back from Lucasarts, so MI5 can see the daylight!

Comment by: Nailpolish @ 03:23, Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Wasent MI inspired by the PotC ride in the first place?

Comment by: ueshiba @ 11:33, Tuesday, June 19, 2007
I agree with Kubat! The only thing that could struck as MI was that place made of shipwreck could resemblance with the Woodtick village (MI2)

Comment by: Kubat @ 10:04, Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Sooo the 3'rd part is not monkey Islandish ? I shoud have guessed... it was crap :( The first part was awsome, my first reactions were MY God MI !) well on DVD there is a commentary that the producers/writers etc point to the Disney Land PoTC ride, as an inspiration, but then it was also inspiration for MI , not so ?

Comment by: Marley# @ 17:27, Monday, June 18, 2007
Bloody hell that clears up a debate. I heard about Steven Spielberg originally going to do PotC back when Will Turner was going to be the main character. Can't believe that though. My favourite book, movie and game really are all closely linked. Though i am not impressed by Spielbergs latest movies i would have been optimistic if he made Monkey Island.

Can't believe this happened so little time before LA closedthe doors on adventures though. And it does bascically set in stonethere will never be MI movie. Though i still reckon a game...

Comment by: Donkey @ 13:26, Monday, June 18, 2007
Well is this a good thing?.. what if they instead would have brought up an monkey island movie, and then they probobly would have to make MI5.... I mean.. Who can resist Mr goofy Guybrush^^

Comment by: ueshiba @ 00:45, Sunday, June 17, 2007
Never the less is not MI! It will be always POTC. But since I´m a guy born in 75 and I have seen the rise of all MI games. I´m a nostalgic guy (I´m now leaning to playing MI theme in my guitar for the fun of it) and I believe that if this ppl can make and Indiana Jones 4 (with out Connery! arrgh), I´m also believe that will be an MI 5 (NOT IN 3D, Please!).

Comment by: Artemio @ 00:14, Sunday, June 17, 2007
I always suspected that the people involved in PotC had to be MI fans, but this is great to know.

Comment by: KGB @ 23:19, Saturday, June 16, 2007
OK, the PotC information is banal...
But the information of a planned MI film is awesome. I mean, that artwork was awesome, and I'll trust blindfold any film Spielberg produced (and most of the films he directed), and with Ted Elliott (not Elliot) on the plate (sure, he wrote the american 'Godzilla' script, but he sure knows how to write a pirate flick) it would have been more than a film to satisfy the MI fans.

Comment by: Herman Toothdecay @ 22:58, Saturday, June 16, 2007
Heh, very cool.

Comment by: Dalixam @ 21:51, Saturday, June 16, 2007
Yes, to set the record straight.

Comment by: Neola @ 21:28, Saturday, June 16, 2007
Wow, I have always wondered if these guys even knew about MI. Neat to have a confirmation there :)
So, could you at least tell us why this person suddenly gave you this information? To clear things up for us MI fans?

© Copyright 1997-2009, The World of Monkey Island®. All rights reserved.